Under direct supervision, this position is responsible for assisting the Head Coach in supervising and maintaining an NCAA Division I women’s basketball program. The Assistant Coach will aid in creating and fostering a healthy staff dynamic built upon trust, loyalty, and togetherness. The Assistant Coach will be asked to bring a relentless work ethic and attention to detail to the position while being an accessible and reliable member in the Army Women’s Basketball program. As a servant leader, the Assistant Coach will be a positive and inspiring mentor to our cadet athletes by demonstrating consistent work habits and high character. This is a professional coaching position, and all duties of the position must be conducted in adherence with the policies, rules, and regulations of the United States Military Academy (“USMA”), Army West Point Athletics Association Inc. (“AWPAA”), the Patriot League Conference and the NCAA.
Scope of Impact
The Assistant Coach acts as an extension of the Head Coach and the Army West Point Athletics Department, and has direct access to the Cadet-Athletes. The Assistant Coach must possess highly professional mannerisms, unimpeachable moral and ethical character, and be a role model.
Level of Decision Making
The responsibilities outlined in this job description are integral to the success of the AWPAA. All decisions associated with designated responsibilities will be made by the Assistant Coach with oversight from the Head Coach. The Assistant Coach will be proactive in problem solving and constantly find ways to improve day to day operations. The Assistant Coach is responsible for filling any holes necessary, more importantly staying ahead, and organized so the team can perform at their best.
Success in this position will be evaluated by the Supervisor on the employee’s performance in a variety of areas, including but not limited to: Commitment, Coachability, Efficiency, Initiative, Collegiality, Communication, Quality of Work, and Compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Bring consistent energy, effort, and enthusiasm into every workout with the team.
- Assist in reinforcing fundamentals within the offensive and defensive systems.
- Positional coaching duties as assigned.
- Assist with individual player development and individual film analysis.
- Assist in pre-practice meetings and provide feedback during post-practice meetings.
- Be available to train Cadet-Athletes during their free time.
- Assist in scouting report preparation and analysis on FastScout.
- Provide film breakdown to players and staff whenever needed.
- Be able to effectively communicate on spot corrections and feedback.
- Language and tone are important to team success and morale. Be respectful.
- Assist in game and bench management, game day duties as assigned.
- Be solution oriented when looking to improve player development, basketball systems, and roster management.
- Provide solutions for conflict resolution within the team and find ways to enhance current policies and procedures.
- Have bi-weekly check-ins with your advisor group (mental and physical well-being).
- Oversees recruiting and selection of Cadet-Athletes; ensures compliance with AWPAA policies and NCAA recruiting rules and regulations; initiates process for determining academic eligibility.
- Recruit quality prospective Cadet-Athletes and ensure timely submission of their academic records for admissions.
- Provide an overall positive educational environment for Cadet-Athletes conducive to learning, athletic development, social growth, and preparing them for life beyond USMA.
- Assists Head Coach in coordinating, in conjunction with the academic tutoring and advising program, the total academic progress of the team implementing corrective action plans through appropriate staff, including monitoring weekly study hall.
- Promotes the philosophy and objectives of AWPAA to include adhering to and enforcing all AWPAA policies and procedures, as well as rules and regulations of USMA, the Patriot League and the NCAA.
- Work to integrate sports into the whole spectrum of USMA life to complement the AWPAA and USMA missions in the military community.
- Assists Head Coach in developing and maintaining a balanced budget.
- Assists coaching staff in selection, purchase, fitting and maintenance of team equipment, to include uniforms, athletic equipment and supplies.
- Ensures safety of Cadet-Athletes and coaching staff through careful monitoring of the condition of athletics equipment and facilities utilized by designated sport; submits requests for repair, maintenance, and improvement of facilities to facility manager when appropriate.
- Develop relationships with support staff including OR team, members of CEP and administration
- Assists with approved fundraising activities as requested.
- Assists Head Coach in coordinating marketing/social media efforts in coordination with the external pod.
- Assists Head Coach in developing and marketing summer camps in coordination with the summer camps office.
- Assists Head Coach in coordinating alumni relations including alumni speaker series and newsletter.
- Cooperates with all coaches within AWPAA to enhance overall AWPAA operations.
- Participates in public relations activities to include speaking engagements, television and radio interviews and press conferences as approved or requested.
- Represents AWPAA at professional, civic, charitable and alumni events.
- Assist with departmental needs as requested. When practical under the circumstances, staff is encouraged to voluntarily attend athletic events to support Army West Point teams.
Work Conditions & Physical Requirements
Perform duties in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. Must be able to handle the physical demands of training sessions, recruiting events, and games.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- The person in this position frequently communicates with cadets to enhance their performance on the field. Must be able to exchange accurate information with cadets.
- Must be able to detect performance issues from long distances.
- Frequently moves equipment weighing up to 50 pounds across campus for various events.
- Constantly works in outdoor weather conditions.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
The Assistant Coach will travel throughout the year to support the recruitment of Cadet-Athletes and in-season as per the competition schedule.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Three (3)+ Years of collegiate coaching experience
- Able to form and maintain relationships with individuals from a variety of backgrounds
- Able to communicate effectively on different platforms (zoom, phone, public speaking)
- A strong work ethic with excellent attention to detail
- Able to manage multiple tasks and deadlines, change direction quickly and prioritize tasks based on the needs of the program.
- Be a self-starter and take initiative
- Experience with or ability to learn Synergy software and Fast Draw, Scout & Recruit
- NCAA Division I-level coaching experience
- Master’s Degree
Additional Eligibility Requirements
- Must be eligible to work on a military installation.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States of America.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.