The Head Coach is responsible for directing the women’s basketball program that, as a demonstration of quality and success, places consistently in the upper echelon of the Northeast 10 Conference and qualifies for conference championship play. The Head Coach maintains an exemplary student-athlete academic success rate and fosters positive personal development of student-athletes. This position cultivates relationships with alumni, friends and fans of the women’s basketball program.
- Develop and execute a strategy for building a regionally and nationally competitive team.
- Design a competitive schedule that maximizes student-athlete development and performance.
- Work closely with Enrollment Management and Associate Athletic Director and Senior Woman Administrator to develop and implement a strategy to recruit talented high school and transfer student-athletes consistent with NCAA and conference rules.
- Maintain a full roster by reaching annual recruiting expectations within the financial aid budget and by limiting attrition.
- Establish and maintain ethical standards of behavior for all student-athletes.
- Monitor and support the academic progress of student-athletes in the program.
- Work with Strength and Conditioning Coach on the design and implementation of a training program that advances individual and team performance skills to support the success of the women’s basketball program.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate assistant coaches that provide support with all program objectives.
- Manage a cost-effective and administratively efficient women’s basketball program.
- Work with Institutional Advancement to develop and sustain positive relationships with alumni, donors and season ticket holders to meet fund-raising goals and initiatives.
- Participate in friend, fan and fundraising events.
- Serve as an ambassador for the Women’s Basketball Program and the College’s Athletics Program, articulating their missions and engaging in public speaking opportunities that promote the basketball program including communication with the media.
- Exhibit the highest standards of professional conduct regarding compliance with institutional policies and procedures and adherence to the rules and regulations of athletic governance organizations of which the institution is a member.
- Ensure program/coaching staff compliance with NCAA and conference rules and regulations.
- Relate well to officials, high school coaches, parents/guardians, media, alumni, donors and the public.
- Contribute to the maintenance of good working relationships with all staff, student-athletes and external constituents through a positive and constructive approach with respect for the competencies of others while exhibiting appropriate conflict management behavior.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the AVP and Athletics Director.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Collegiate coaching experience or high level playing experience coupled with a demonstrated ability to coach college level student-athletes.
- Demonstrated success in coaching a regionally or nationally competitive team is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of NCAA compliance and recruiting policies.
- Proven success in recruiting student-athletes.
- Proven success in fan, friend and fundraising activities.
- Demonstrated commitment to high academic standards for student-athletes and their ability to succeed both academically and athletically.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the College and with people from varied social, educational and economic backgrounds.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects.
- Strong organizational, written/oral and interpersonal communications skills.
- Intermediate level computer skills using a Windows based operating system, specifically MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Possess or have the ability to maintain Annual First Aid/CPR/AED certification.
- Possess a current driver’s license.