Houghton College, a Christian College of the liberal arts and sciences located in scenic Western New York, seeks applicants for a Graduate Assistant Women’s Basketball Coaching position. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, adhering to NCAA/Empire 8/NCCAA and Houghton College rules, practice and game planning, film break-down and scouting, on and off campus recruiting, supporting the academic progress of student athletes, and other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s degree is required. Previous basketball coaching and/or playing experience is preferred. Strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to sports ministry are required. The position will be filled upon identification of a suitable candidate.
Reports to: Head Coach
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree
- Possession or ability to obtain valid New York State Driver’s License
- NCAA playing experience (preferred)
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Strong initiative to solve problems
Summary of Responsibilities: Assist the head coach in the planning, organizing and coaching of the men’s basketball team.
- Assist in the leadership and instruction of the personal and athletic development of student athletes.
- Assist in preparation of analyses of opponents and prepare game plans accordingly.
- Counsel team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters; consult with Head Coach for resolution of problems as required.
- Assist in the recruitment of new potential athletes.
- Provide opportunities for spiritual growth and formation, including such activities as team devotions, individual discipleship and mentoring.
- Assist with the implementation and organization of prospect clinics
- Assist in the instruction of student-athletes during practices, preparation of student-athletes for competition, and support of strategic decisions in games
- Ability to lead practice drills and conduct individual workouts
- Assist in the inventory of equipment and uniforms
- Monitor academic progress of each player.
- Assist in communication with alumni and organization of alumni events.
- Assist in planning/organizing community service activities.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Weekend and evening work as position requires.
Houghton College is fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty, staff and student body. Successful candidates will evidence similar commitments.
Application Procedure: To apply please submit the following materials via email to: [email protected].
(1) Cover Letter
(3) 3 References
(4) Answers to the following three questions: Please review Houghton College’s Community Covenant and Doctrinal Statement available here:
- Please provide a brief description of your faith journey, including the nature of your current participation in a local church or fellowship.
- What motivates you to seek employment with an institution that strives to work together in the manner described in the community covenant?
- Do you have any questions or concerns regarding either the doctrinal statement or community covenant?