Butler University Athletics seeks to hire a Director of Academic Services – MBB/WBB. This position will have direct responsibility for student-athlete academic support for men’s and women’s basketball and will include some travel with the teams.
- Conduct academic team meetings at the start of each semester. Facilitate ongoing, individual meetings with student-athletes. Assist student-athletes in developing effective study habits, skills, and strategies for long-term success.
- Follow up with student-athletes, faculty, coaches, and fellow administrators in response to academic issues and concerns. Make referrals to, and collaborate with, office colleagues, faculty, faculty advisors, and other administrative personnel to enhance student-athlete support.
- Assist in preparing travel notifications, grade reports, and academic award nominations. Assist in monitoring transfer student-athlete academic progress to ensure compliance with university and NCAA guidelines. Assist in the coordination/monitoring of daytime and evening study hall.
- Assist in recruiting academically qualified student-athletes. Support programs that aim to promote the overall success, welfare, and inclusion of student-athletes. Travel with designated athletic teams when necessary and appropriate. Maintain accurate records in compliance with university, Conference, and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Ensures admissions requirements and satisfactory academic progress are met for all assigned incoming and continuing student-athletes pursuant to university, conference, and NCAA rules.
- Interprets, analyzes and monitors academic progress of assigned student-athletes.
- Assess student-athlete overall academic performance and its impact on progress toward graduation and NCAA eligibility.
- Maintains knowledge of all university, conference, and NCAA rules concerning academic standing and eligibility requirements.
- Communicates academic progress reports and status updates to assigned coaches and student-athletes.
- Provides advice and make recommendations to coaches on the academic potential of assigned prospective student-athletes and assists through the admissions and recruiting process.
- Ensures consistent and engaged attendance to class, tutoring, and learning specialist activities.
- Proactively monitor and provide intervention strategies for student-athletes.
- Responsible for academic plans to monitor progress towards degrees, as well as assisting with scheduling and registration process for the student-athletes.
- Track and collaborate with student-athletes on course selection, major exploration and declaration, degree plans, transfer credits, internships, and career preparation.
- Assist with the summer bridge program for incoming and transfer student-athletes on the men’s and women’s basketball.
Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- 3-5 years’ experience working directly with students/student athletes
- Knowledge and ability to ensure compliance with NCAA rules and regulations
- Proficient in the use of NCAA software and applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and computer skills
- Strong listening skills
- Experience working with men’s and women’s basketball student-athletes