The University of New Haven, founded on the Yale campus in 1920, is a private, coeducational university that has been recognized by The Princeton Review and U.S. News & World Report for academic excellence. Located between New York City and Boston in the shoreline city of West Haven, the University is a diverse and vibrant community of nearly 7,000 students from across the globe.
Under the guidance of the Head Coach while using independent judgment and discretion, instruct, educate, and train players on the rules, strategies, and techniques of the applicable sport and ensure that student-athletes understand, comply, and abide by the rules and regulations of the NCAA, the NE10 Conference, and the University of New Haven.
- Able to prepare and train young people for competition using strong judgement, discretion and leadership
- Able to teach and demonstrate the skills and strategies of Basketball to students in the sport
- A strong leader with the ability to motivate, encourage and develop young people
- Work closely with the Head Coach to evaluate the strengths and weakness of student-athletes and then develop programs and techniques to help optimize their skill and performance.
- Assist the Head Coach in planning, organizing, and conducting practice sessions using sound motor learning principles and sport specific techniques in preparing student-athletes to compete at maximum levels.
- Remain abreast of any changes in rules, techniques or equipment associated with the applicable sport.
- Identify, monitor, and recruit quality student-athletes that will be an asset to the University’s athletic program.
- Using a variety of technology resources, assist the Head Coach in the scouting of opposing teams and the development of scouting reports that are precise, accurate and easily communicated.
- Using technology and statistics, keep accurate records of players’ progress as related to performance in games and practices and use this information to help develop and train the student-athlete.
- Assist the Strength and Conditioning staff in the supervision of the teams’ strength and conditioning program. Coordinate the development and implementation of an effective program that is challenging and improves the strength and fitness of each player.
- Organize and confirm team travel needs such as transportation, accommodations, and meals as required.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Previous playing and/or coaching experience in the sport preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of, and proven ability, to educate students in the sport.
- Must possess a demonstrated ability to successfully coach at the Division II level.
- Strong leadership, verbal and written communication, and motivational skills.