The teacher will report directly to the Assistant Head of School for Academics. In collaboration and consultation with the Assistant Head of School for Academics, the teacher will create a classroom environment by which all students are engaged in the learning process as they make daily strides toward reaching their academic potential. The teacher will play an essential role towards helping each student fulfill and embrace the mission of Putnam Science Academy. The person will also be an assistant women’s basketball coach and a resistant assistant.
Major Duties and Responsibilities for Teachers:
Teacher responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Adherence to the hours of employment per the contract: 7:45am – 2:45pm;
- Availability for extra help after school at least one day a week;
- Serving as an active member of the new advisory program, including special events/meetings that occur after school;
- Fostering a positive, classroom climate for students
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning and which adhere to all PSA academic policies and procedures;
- Instruct and monitor students in the appropriate usage of learning materials and equipment;
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate classroom instruction;
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules in accordance with PSA disciplinary policies and procedures;
- Provide qualitative and quantitative feedback on student work in a timely manner;
- Analyze information acquired from student assessments in order to make adjustments to teaching strategies;
- Maintain and update accurate and complete records of student progress and development as required by school regulations and applicable educational laws;
- Prepare required reports on students and activities;
- Attend and participate in departmental, school, and parent meetings;
- Follow curriculum guidelines and actively collaborate with colleagues on all curriculum mapping activities;
- Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues, Assistant Head of School for Academics, the Administration, and parents regarding student progress;
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities;
- Provide appropriate levels of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities;
- Assign grades for each form of student assessment as well as submit grades for progress reports and report cards within required deadlines;
- Demonstrate skills in working with students from diverse cultural, economic, and ability backgrounds;
- Participate in all admissions-related activities as required;
- Encourage parent and community involvement;
- Obtain information for parents when requested,
- Promptly respond to all forms of communication in a timely manner;
- Participate in appropriate professional activities;
- Participate in extracurricular activities such as social activities, sporting activities, clubs and student organizations as directed by the administration;
- To maintain high standards of professional behavior towards colleagues, students and parents;
- Undertake administrative and instructional duties as assigned by administration.
Resident Assistant Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Resident Assistants live in as professional staff members who help in the running of the dormitories. The Resident Assistant also serves as a facilitator to encourage a cooperative and considerate group living environment. The RA is expected to help build a feeling of togetherness and community by initiating and helping to organize floor and hall activities and programs. The RA serves as a resource for information about the campus and residence halls. Most of all, the RA is expected to be an individual who cares about people and attempts to make the residence hall a valuable place to live.
- Responsible for the general well being of your assigned “family” of students which includes:
- Daily Temp/symptom checks to monitor any potential COVID-19 risks
- Meal Orders/Runs
- Escorting students to and from their scheduled meals or distributing meals as needed
- Make sure that the halls are neat and if needed have students assist in the cleanliness of the building.
- Monitoring the Dorm (Day Duty/Evening Duty)
- Doors open while in your room for hearing and accessibility
- Walk around frequently to ensure everyone is accounted for
- Responsible for making sure Family members stay within their designated areas (Wing/Common Area/Activities Area)
- Fill out incident reports/work orders as needed
- Creating cleaning assignments for students to help them take an active role in the care of the building
- Conduct room and health/safety checks
- Create positive/professional relationships with your students to ensure that they have an enjoyable experience at Putnam Science Academy.
- On-Duty Responsibilities
- Each RA will take part in an on-call rotation when they will be responsible for responding to emergency situations or incidents that take place in the dorms
- Each month, duty will be scheduled based on the conditions made between yourself and your other staff members.
- You will be responsible for conducting rounds:
- Walk the building multiple times each night to ensure accountability
- Check in with students as needed
- Assist students with laundry needs to ensure only one student is using the facilities at one time (due to COVID-19).
- Check the state of cleanliness of the building
- Will enforce the student code of conduct and campus policies. If any violations are found the RA will be responsible for documenting said violation.
- Conduct room checks each night to make sure that all students are present and accounted for.
- Also check rooms for any health and safety violations.
- Meet weekly with the RA staff and Dean of Students
- Will also meet individually every other week with the Dean of Students to check in with how the families, building, and staff is doing.
Minor Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help assist and welcome students for the Move-In Weekends at the start of each semester.
- Activity programming for on-campus students
- Each RA will assist in the implementation of campus activities that are assigned to them at the start of the semester. The number of activities will depend on the number of RAs on staff.
- Ability to drive students in a 15-person passenger van
- RAs help in picking students up from the airport at the beginning of each semester as well as dropping them off at the end as well.
- They will also help drive students to off-campus programs.
- Work in the security office/hallway for one academic period per day to help maintain the safety of students
- Other duties may be assigned as the school year continues.
Assistant Coach Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Coaching: As Assistant Coach, this individual is responsible for all aspects of the women’s basketball program
- Process through emails of interested students who would like to join the basketball program.
- Travel to area schools, events, or showcases.
- Some international travel may take place.
- Conducting practices
- Responsible for helping Head Coach with creating a practice plan each day and informing students of said plan.
- Game strategy
- Help and assist run a system based on the talent that you have on the team.
- Academic monitoring
- You are responsible for keeping a close watch on your player’s academic status to ensure that they are in line to meet NCAA requirements.
- If needed, support students in their academic performance.
- Team performance
- Create a positive and conducive environment for player and team growth.
- Also, take an active role in the disciplinary process for any violations to the student code of conduct.
- Responsible for expressing issues to the parents of students in question of any violations.
- Transport team to all games and competitions
- Also in charge of meals for any extended trips.
- Responsible for cleaning team uniforms
- To be a role model for students;
- Develop a relationship with students which is professional, firm, caring and friendly;
- Maintain an appropriate and professional distance with students in informal situations;
- Be friendly, helpful and welcoming to parents and others visiting or making contact with PSA
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- 6 Paid time off days
- 2 Sick days
Hours: During academic year 7:45am to 2:45pm; During non-academic times 9am to 2pm