The Assistant Coach Women’s Basketball provides leadership in support of the AD/Head Coach in all facets of the Women’s basketball program as well as many facets of the athletic department. The Assistant Coach Women’s Basketball is collaboratively responsible with the AD/Head Coach for maintaining a women’s basketball program that highly stresses a Christ-centered (biblical) student-athlete experience. This position is responsible to assisting the AD/Head Coach in areas such as recruiting and retaining student-athletes, scheduling opponents, coordinating team travel, individual training, coaching team members, as well as other duties assigned by the AD/Head Coach. The Assistant Coach Women’s Basketball is required to abide by the rules, policies, regulations, and compliance standards established by William Jessup University’s written mission and vision statement, as well as the NAIA and Golden State Athletic Conference.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide Christ-like (biblical) leadership in collaboration with the Head Coach and Sport Supervisor for the women’s basketball program and athletic department.
- In partnership with the head coach, successfully recruit and graduate quality student athletes of high moral character and integrity.
- Mentor and supervise student-athletes, student-workers and team managers.
- In partnership with the head coach and with appropriate budget approvals, schedule games, team travel and accommodations.
- Disciple and assist with character development of student-athletes.
- Assist in planning and involvement of summer mission’s opportunities for student-athletes.
- Represent the University at conference and national meetings as assigned.
- In partnership with the head coach, supervise, prepare, and maintain oversight of men’s basketball program budget.
- Assist and provide fund raising efforts aimed at the support of the women’s basketball program and athletic department.
- Assist in the development of public relations with local constituencies aimed at generating support for WJU athletic programs.
- Partner with the head coach to run/manage basketball camps, leagues and community outreach activities and events.
- Maintain responsibility for a variety of administrative support duties as assigned by the AD/Head Coach in areas that reflects the strengths and expertise of the candidate.
- Participate in extensive travel to games, recruiting tournaments, and athletic-related events.
- Maintain flexible work schedule to accommodate practice times, game times, weekend hours and travel requirements.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree preferred
- Knowledge of and committed to William Jessup University mission statement and philosophy, NAIA and conference rules and regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the game of basketball.
- A minimum of 1 year coaching and recruiting experience at the college level or equivalent related experience.
- A strong and visible Christian faith.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a fast-paced environment.